Bridges

I am rather taken with the building of bridges;
particularly those humongous constructions
that reach out from opposing sides
to meet, by design and artifice, in the middle.
And I laud the engineers and artisans
who make it happen.

The bridges I am tasked to build
are more challenging (or so it seems)
since they are meant to span
the vertiginous chasms and ravines
between Thee and Me.
Small wonder most collapse before they're finished.

I reach out into wind-swept emptiness
and call to my neighbour opposite
to reach out
and to meet me halfway,
that we might share a tale or two
about life and the point of it.

Would that the bridge we build
be made of stronger stuff;
of high-tensile fibre and girders
forged in the red-hot furnace of our hearts,
and tempered in the ice-cold waters
of a real world.

How amazed are we, on occasion rare,
when we find ourselves mid-span and together,
peering into roaring depths below
and humbled that we,
with conjoined intent and effort
made Me and Thee into the mighty span of We.



© Karel Reus

No comments:

Post a Comment