Celebrating liminality

Rejoicing in elderhood

As my rapidly accelerating life moves into overdrive,
and as it r
eaches and passes the speed of eighty years per hour
I find myself entering a liminal landscape
where all caution can be thrown to the wind,
and where the approaching precipice
is not a threat but an invitation. 

At last, at last,
I can allow my captive spirit a chance to roam;
to think what it may and to say what it will.
The guardians of correctness no longer have a hold on me.
Rejoicing in my elder-hood, I am free.
In this new land-on-the-edge I am both king and subject; ruler and ruled. 

Since I am defined by the world as irrelevant,
I will celebrate irrelevance in final acts of resistance and rebellion,
and as for the censure of my younger betters,
well frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn.
I will leave traces of my errant thought
like so much scat in the undergrowth. 

You have been warned.
Be careful where you walk!

© Karel Reus

No comments:

Post a Comment