Deathbed etiquette for a grumpy old man (Ich habe genug)


Be still,
please, just be still,
and quiet too,
lest your loose tongue intrudes,
when dumbness
is by far the best response.

In case my physical repose
leads you astray,
know this, my dears,
that much is going on,
in which you now play minor parts.
Know your place.
You had your chance.
This is my show now.

Stop and listen with me
while I assess this final time;
when chickens homeward come,
jigsaw thoughts fall into place,
warning signals flash,
and gentle harmonies
vie with strident chords
for my attention.

Don’t interrupt this final drama
with puerile assurances
of paradise to come,
or reunions,
or salvation.
At this time it just may be
that I know more of these than you.
Perhaps you speak with well-intentioned ignorance,
of ideas arising more from dogma
than from knowledge.
For me this final warm enfolding ignorance,
is welcome
and I seek no more the resolution of
contradiction and paradox.

I do not need your psalms and songs.
Enough it is that Bach and Rembrandt walk with me –
…and Jesus.
Tunes, images and visions draw me on.

Do not speak to me,
or of me,
with forced jollity.
Do not pray over me.
Do not bless me.
Don’t belabor me with sheep and shepherds,
with valleys green
and running waters.
Don’t burden me with religion.
No angels, if you don’t mind.
My devils live within me still
and you, for all your mumbo-jumbo,
will not banish them
from these last thoughts.

You, who lived with me,
around me,
for me,
against me
may do one thing, and one alone.
You may do what I in my fragility
have never sought,
and you, in your haste,
have never offered.
You may hold my hand
Steadily, firmly, silently,
without the nervous pats and anxious strokes
that speak more of you than me,
and you may offer me
quiet, steady,
encompassing forgiveness,
for all the many ills
that I have left behind;
for all the shards of
well-meant deeds
left shattered
and scattered
in your path.

© Karel Reus

No comments:

Post a Comment