Don't...


Don't

Don't thrust a book at me,
(not even the ”Good Book”),
with intent to ensnare me.

Don't read a tract to me,
as if two thousand year-old words
can magically save my soul.

Don't pray at me with lowered gaze
and gracious platitudes and weasel words
reeking with sincerity and good intent.

Don't preach at me from your sacred soap box
as if you've leave through call or learning
to show to me the Mind of God.

Don't forgive me
as if my sins are known to you
and you can speak for God.

Don't try to make a difference
if you won't do the heavy work
and get some dirt beneath your nails.

Do hold my hand
and walk with me.
I do get lost, confused.
As buddies, mates,
we have a better chance.
And know me,
know me please;
my weakness and my strength
and passions,
and hopes and loneliness.

Let's talk and talk
and talk some more
and read and pray.
And if your faith is worth
more than a pinch of salt,
walk the extra mile with me.
You can wear my shirt,
and we will fathom
what this gig is all about.

© Karel Reus

No comments:

Post a Comment