Condescension noted


Your condescension is noted;
duly recorded in my ever-widening margins,
along with your concern, and empathy
and ostentatious pastorality.

What I require (indeed need)
is acknowledgement and respect,
and an understanding that the road I took
is of some significance.

"Stop right now!", I hear the young ones cry.
"Information overload!"
"For God's sake, be your age,
and merge with dignity into your shadowlands!"

But this I assert
to all you denizens of whippersnapper-dom.
I still have things
to say and do.

I, who daily hoist
the load of four score years and more,
am happy to unload
some timely wisdom onto you.

I know about:
  • ·         learning from experience;
  • ·         understanding incarnated entropy and decay;
  • ·         the value of undemonstrative devotion;
  • ·         the price of honest talk;
  • ·         the joy of stillness;
  • ·         the love of words;
  • ·         the need for silence;
  • ·         the power of simplicity;
  • ·         the consequence of war;
  • ·         the fragility of peace;
  • ·         the temptations of power;
  • ·         the burden of constant pain;
  • ·         really knowing oneself and knowing one's limits;
  • ·         relating to mystery;
  • ·         the illusions of false humility;
  • ·         understanding both sides;
  • ·         the elusiveness of love;
  • ·         the futility of hate;
  • ·         the need for recognition;
  • ·         not overvaluing achievement;
  • ·         making use of being useless;
  • ·         forgiving one's enemies;
  • ·         serving in little ways.

So, you who are still age-challenged
and crippled by inadequacies of youth,
note that I've been there, done that.
Raise your High Street lattés to me and my ilk,
and your fresh-pressed juice,
and nine-grain sourdoughs,
and hush your organic eco-talk,
and walk with us, and talk with us;
cry with us, fear with us,
laugh with us,
and share these lives
not yet complete....


© Karel Reus

No comments:

Post a Comment