We are all compost...*

I am what's left of scraps
and scrapings
from life's many snacks
and feasts.
I am peelings and parings
and cores and pips.
I am remains of dinners burnt;
of false starts
and failed cuisines.
I am what's left of parties
and festive times
and wakes.

I am detritus of ideas,
ambitions,
hopes,
and schemes,
cooked on
a slow flame,
tasted,
tested,
digested (in part),
then cast aside.

I am rich loam.
Spread what is left of me
to grow a world
beyond my wildest dreams.
My composted life
is yukky and a little on the nose,
but it's good enough
for you to tend

your garden bed.


* ”...we are all compost for worlds we cannot yet imagine.”
From ”Ambition” in Whyte, David, Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words, Many Rivers Press, Langley, Washington, 2015.

© Karel Reus

2 comments: