Spero ergo ego sum (I hope, therefore I am)

There's a distinction to be made
between expectation and hope.
Some scripture-jockeys expect the eschaton, quite soon
and some scientists expect the end of time, eventually
(but without a whistle-blowing referee-on-high
sorting sheep from goats).

Writ large on faith-full faces
I have seen transmogrifications
of expectation into hope.
"Bring it on", they cry,
"and let righteousness descend."
(At least science spares us that.)

Expectation is about facts;
about linking established almost-truths
in a great chain of inference
leading from A to Z
or to the Omega Point
where all will be resolved.

Hope is about inference
conveyed in evanescent stories, poems and sagas.
Hope is about reading between lines
and grasping at flimsy chains
of ifs, and mights and maybes
binding dreamed-of possibilities
of how relates to why.

In the face of expected entropy
I make a case, and see a place, for hope.
In spite of knowing that in distant time
a silence will descend on all,
I dare to sound an optimistic note.

...I hope...

I hope for chance encounters
that grow into bonds of fellowship,
and for the strength that I may put
some work into my friends.

I hope for a world where honesty reigns
and truth is valued over lies;
where what I see and hear
is what I get.

I hope our passion for accumulation
will be replaced by growth and generosity of spirit
and that sensitivity, moderation and balance
are the order of each day.

I hope the words "compassion", "empathy", and "solidarity"
are used, heard and acted upon more often,
and become essential parts
of our lexicon and daily discourse.

I hope for a faith community
that stands for all of the above;
that understands my circumstance
and tells it as it is.

I hope...

that sharing will overcome greed;
that justice will prevail over power;
that learning will defeat ignorance;
that we might value all of life;

I hope...

that war will be a distant memory;
that we learn what it means to "be in love";
that light will shine in the shadows of our lives;
that ecclesial weasel-words are banished;

I hope...

that hugs replace shots;
that pain is defeated;
that tolerance is trumped by understanding;
that we abandon claims to know the mind of God;

I hope...

that homes and food are found for all;
that sorrow is shared;
that forgiveness is granted and received;
that our actions speak louder than our words.

I know...
that hope spurs action;
that hope gives meaning;
that hope connects
and hope and grace
are of a kind.

I know...
that the law of entropy
seals the destiny of everything,
but still, I do insist,
there's reason quite enough
to cling to hope,
and time enough
to see results...

Spero ergo ego sum
I hope, therefore I am.

© Karel Reus

No comments:

Post a Comment